Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Reflections

Woohoo! I just checked and I got full marks for the first part of my assignment. Now I have to tackle the second part, one which will see me using Power Point (yes, the recipe cometh) and the other using iTunes. Today I put out feelers for a volunteer position that could well take up a lot of my time and energy. This, along with the assignment, made me think about what it is I want from life.

I've always wanted to be a teacher and now I'm on that path. I've always wanted to be a more vital part of the Australian Spec Fic community and now I may well achieve that dream. Do I have to give up one to achieve the other.

Well, no. I don't think I do.

I live in the age of technology. Anything I do for the Spec Fic scene can be achieved via the internet, thanks to social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, Live Journal, YouTube and Blogs. I also have access to email. 20 years ago I would have mainly kept in contact with authors and editors via phone, dead-tree mail (aka Australia Post) or face to face. Now I can do all this and more without doing anything more physical than connecting my modem. I really do let my fingers do the walking/talking.

When I set this blog and website up, I didn't really think much beyond this semester and the marks I need. But this unit has really emphasised two things to me 1) I use technology A LOT and 2) I'm quite good at it. I can set up a site and a blog without too much trouble and thought. I am intelligent enough to follow instructions and to improve on my knowledge as I go, simply by applying logic to what I've learnt and extrapolating the next step. For this next part of the assignment we have to blog about the creation process, how we created the website/blog and how we went about learning or refining the process. I'm going to have to retrace my steps and see how I did this. I know there was a lot of asking around, a lot of mistakes made and fixed, a lot of self-editing until things looked right.

Which is a lot like life really.

No comments:

Post a Comment