Monday, March 28, 2011

One of the reasons I like this unit

Thanks to a sick child I had to miss today's lecture - again. Thankfully, it was an online lecture week, which I didn't realise until a few minutes ago. I'm doing many of my lectures online at the moment because of child-illness, Aiden's compensation appointments etc. This way, at least, I have some catch-up time.

I was disappointed today to find that my recipe slideshow doesn't work on my iPad. For cutting edge technology, there seem to be some glaring holes. There's a lot I can't do on my iPad, such as watching Biggest Loser, listening to lectures (but that might me my shortfall, not Apple's) and watching my slideshow. Writing isn't perfect on it either, but Angry Birds - Rio is a charm.

Unfortunately.

I'm also disappointed not to have heard from my tute buddies. We've got a join assignment coming up and I've emailed them with an idea, but have heard nothing back. I'm a person who likes to take ages to prepare then do the real work in the last couple of days. It works for me, but now I have to rely upon others, which is where my nervousness sets in. I want to get cracking on this, but so far I've heard nothing.

Aaargghhhh!

Fortunately I am also extremely patient and can wait until Wednesday when I see them at the tute. The only thing is, I'm worried that we'll be concentrating on 2B by then.

Meanwhile, I'm studying up on authentic learning. The thing is, I totally agree with the concept of authentic teaching, but I do think there's a place for rote learning too. I can instantly say what 7 x 12 = because I learnt my times tables by rote. Any other system of learning seems laborious. Surely there's a place for both in the learning environment?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lyn
    Yes, I think there is a place for rote learning. For example: I want my Surgeon to know where all of my organs are BEFORE he starts operating. And I think it's good that my Doctor knows the symptoms for lots of common ailments like measles, flu etc.
    I'm sure there are lots of other jobs that require people to memorise information like the maths times table.
    I've really enjoyed reading your blog.
    Regards Jenni

    ReplyDelete