Saturday, February 19, 2011

EDN113 - A review of the first week.

So, I'm supposed to be writing a blog that is only about Living and Learning with Technology. Not about other units. Not about life in general.

How is that even possible?

I'm the mother of five*, the grandmother of one**, a published author*** and a uni student#. I have a belief system that is a major part of my life and I'm an avid reader. I can't even begin to compartmentalise any these aspects from day to day, so how can I compartmentalise this one unit? There is a bleeding of my ordinary life into uni life (witness the massive impact of bronchitis upon my life last year) and vicky-versy.

Besides, as stated, I'm a writer and I can't possibly write a blog about any experience without recording the effect it has upon all other facets of my life.

Last Sunday I bought an iPad. I did this because, as a student and writer, I know that a computer is an important part of my life. So is reading (I love the idea of downloading books) and music (all hail the great god Apple and its minion iPod!) Okay, for the most part, I've used it to complete an entire cycle of Plants vs Zombies, but I've also used it to write pre-study notes for FDN102, to look up information regarding the persecution of religious groups in Nazi Germany and to keep up with my social networks. I've looked up rentals for my son, Aiden, his fiance, Georgie and their son, Luc and I've written and shared a shopping list with my beloved husband Lee.

It's not a perfect science yet. There's still a lot for me to learn when it comes to using my iPad, but on the whole I'm picking up the nuances of how I can use the iPad in my day-to-day life. I'm also sharing this knowledge with Lee and my Georgie.

This is how I imagine I'll apply the knowledge I pick up in EDN113. I love sharing. I love taking what I've learnt and helping others with that knowledge. Take Food for Thought (FDN102). My son Aiden is currently learning Conservation and Land Management at TAFE and we're already swapping the small amounts of knowledge picked up and applying it both ways. Together we've started digging out a vegetable garden with the view that it will help both of us with our various assignments. We're connecting in a way that most parents and teens don't.

Aiden is a teen-Dad. This is a choice he made, not one that was thrust upon him. Still, there's been a huge learning-curve that we've all had to go through as a result. The sacrifices he's made for his fiance and son have made me reevaluate my own life and goals. I reapplied for uni because I was inspired by Aiden's and Georgie's determination to continue with their education. I want to be a role-model to them, to show them that education is an on-going, life-long process.

My hope for this unit is that I'll be able to further my technological knowledge and show the kids (mine and others') that you're never too old to learn.

Plus, I hope to finally believe it myself.

*Cassandra - 20, Aiden - 18, Blake - 16, Erin - 9 and Connor - 6
**Luc Aden Jeremy Triffitt - 3 months
***17 published short stories and counting
# Early Childhood and Primary Teaching. Started last year, but had to defer due to severe bronchitis. Full time, but a light workload thanks to Advanced Standing. Oh, how I love Advanced Standing.

No comments:

Post a Comment