Thursday, May 5, 2011

Moving on

I made a decision this afternoon. I could either lose sleep worrying about everything that went wrong with 2A, or I could just move on and concentrate on making up for it with 2B. So moving on it is.

I'm researching using Twitter in education and I'm surprised by the apparent lack amongst my friends. I put this tweet out a few days ago:

lynbattersby

I can use Twitter in education by...
and received replies from my teacher friends that basically said "remind students to do their homework."
Ahem. I intend to be a teacher, not a nanny.
I had to explain that I actually wanted to use it as a hands on tool for students but was met with radio silence by the teachers and horror from my parent friends. They hated the idea of their children using Twitter at school. Anyway, I found some good ideas out there, but generally it centred around writing. In my research I also came across this:
which states that students are going to be taught Twitter and Blogging as part of the curriculum.
Interesting.
I admit, when I started this assignment I really didn't want to consider Twitter. I'm not a fan of it (I prefer Facebook) but after reading around and thinking about different approaches, I can see how it could really help children make important education connections.
The biggest theme I'm coming across with technology and education is the presumption that tech is for the teachers and they only use it to record what the students are doing.
This could be a very exciting time to be an education student.

No comments:

Post a Comment